Announcements and Important Events
The MHSAA Representative Council approved the format for the 2020 Football Playoffs. Here is a summary of both the 11-player and 8-player formats for this fall. More tournament information will be developed in the days and weeks ahead and will be posted on the football page.
- There are 507 teams split into eight divisions of 63-64 schools. This has caused 20 schools to drop a division from last April when original division lines had 65-66 schools in each division. These division changes will be reflected online later today in updated playoff points.
- Schools have been geographically assigned to eight Districts in each division, with 7-8 schools in each District. Here is the link to the Football District assignments: 2020 Football District Assignments
- Playoff points will create the brackets in each District. For the District First Round games, the following formula will be used. If a District has only seven teams, the #1 seed would receive a first round bye.
- #1 vs. #8
- #4 vs. #5
- #3 vs. #6
- #2 vs. #7
- Playoff points will determine home/host teams for the first four rounds of the playoffs. Semifinal sites will be prearranged sites if possible and the Finals site(s) will be finalized soon.
- The playoffs will be conducted over six weeks.
- Oct. 30-31: District First Round
- Nov. 6-7: District Semifinals
- Nov. 13-14: District Finals
- Nov. 20-21: Regional Finals
- Nov. 27-28: Semifinals
- Dec. 4-6: Finals
- During the playoffs, if a school is unable to play, the opponent advances in the tournament. If both teams scheduled to play during a week are unable to do so, neither team advances in the tournament.
- Once a school has been eliminated from the playoffs, no further football competition may take place for that team. If a school opts-out of the tournament, that school would not be permitted further football competition this fall.
- A team must have at least four regular season contests to be tournament eligible and qualified.